Remove Write Protection From SD card: In this article, we will be reading about How to remove write protection from SanDisk SD card or other removable storage devices. There are a lot of devices nowadays which comes with a protection switch. You can pull the switch to make it read only! This protects files from being copied or getting deleted accidentally. The purpose of write protection feature in removable storage devices was security. But what if you accidentally apply write protection to your device?
There are 3 ways to remove write protection from a device. Let us discuss each and everything in detail.
- 1 Remove write protection from micro SD card Sandisk
- 2 how to format write protected micro sd card
- 3 Scanning with Antivirus
- 4 Checking For the Slider lock/Protection switch
- 5 Making Changes in Registry [Works with 95% Cases]
- 6 Fix: Write protection Using Diskpart Utility
Remove write protection from micro SD card Sandisk
What if your Micro SD card won’t get formatted? If your windows is showing you SD card write protection error then what will you do? Scary isn’t it? Here Are the things that you can try to do in order to remove write protection.
Fix: Disc is write protected
Steps to remove write protection from your device.
- Formatting the entire storage device.
- Scanning with an Antivirus
- Checking For the Slider lock/Protection switch
- Making Changes in Registry
- Using Diskpart Utility
Lets Read about each possible way in detail.
how to format write protected micro sd card
Well, Simple formatting is the first thing you should try if you are facing any kind of issue with any storage device. Formatting your device means that all your data will be lost and you won’t be able to recover it ever! But formatting can easily fix many issues. If you are not sure about the write protection error and you think that it might be something else then give formatting a try.
If it doesn’t work then don’t panic! we still have 4 more things that we can do.
Scanning with Antivirus
Sometimes virus may be the issue. The virus can easily apply write protection to your removable storage device (read this thread). We recommend you to scan your entire machine with an antivirus with a recent virus database.
Checking For the Slider lock/Protection switch
Wait for a second! Are you sure you have checked that your protection switch is not at the wrong position? Try re-adjusting the switch on the opposite side and it might work.
Making Changes in Registry [Works with 95% Cases]
Many types of issues occur inside a windows system and can be easily solved using the registry editor.
Just follow the steps given below : –
1. Navigate to Start > type “regedit” and open “Registry Editor”.
2. Now follow the below path after opening registry editor:-
3. Now you will see “Write Protection” option. Double click on that and set the value data to ‘0’.
After setting the value data to ‘0’ again try copying or formatting your sd card. After performing the above step you are still not able to format your sd card then continue to next step.
Fix: Write protection Using Diskpart Utility
- Open Command Prompt (Press Windows Key+ R and type CMD), type diskpart and press Enter key.
- After opening diskpart type “list disk” and press Enter button again.
- Now type “select disk 1” and press enter to select your sd card.
- To remove write protection from sd card type “attributes disk clear readonly” and hit Enter.
Now you are almost done with this process. Simply type “exit” and press enter key once more to exit the menu.
- Now, right click on your Sd card and click on Format option to format your card.
That’s all, now you can now easily remove write protection
Hope this article helped you to remove write protection from your Micro SD card. If you still have any doubts left, You can always ask them in comments.